Home Blog

‘Revolution‘ as UK tabloid switches tack on Brexit

0

LONDON: As Prime Minister Theresa May clings to power and tries to stop her party splitting over , she is getting support from an unexpected and highly influential quarter — the Daily Mail.

The paper‘s longstanding editor , a crusading supporter of Brexit, stepped down this month to be replaced by , who supported the campaign to stay in the EU.

The switch from Dacre, who had been in charge since 1992, has been hailed as momentous by pro-EU moderates and will provide some welcome relief for , which is battling a growing rebellion against May‘s Brexit compromise strategy.

The Atlantic magazine said Greig “might change Britain”, while former prime minister John Major said he had “the power and the potential to change the political discourse of our country”.

Labour lawmaker Andrew Adonis, a strident opponent of Brexit, earlier this year said Greig‘s appointment signalled a “revolution in the British media” that could even “stop Brexit”.

The Daily Mail is the third most widely read paper in Britain after The Sun and Metro although it tops the list if online readers are included because of its hugely popular website.

It has been known for its virulent right-wing campaigns against immigration and was a key supporter of Brexit — against the government line — during the 2016 EU referendum campaign.

When Dacre‘s departure was announced in June, Kevin Maguire, associate editor of the left-wing Daily Mirror newspapers, described Dacre as the “Godfather of Fleet Street” and said that “catastrophic Brexit was his last hurrah”.

Ahead of the Brexit referendum, then prime minister , who supported Britain staying in the bloc, asked Dacre to “cut him some slack” in the campaign, the reported.

After Dacre refused to budge, Cameron asked Lord Rothermere to sack him which made the editor “incandescent” and his resolve to campaign for Brexit “stiffened”, a source told Newsnight.

Fast forward two years and the paper‘s stance has turned around.

In an editorial on Thursday, the paper admitted to some reservations about May‘s plan to keep close ties with the EU but said it was “the only blueprint for Brexit on the table”.

It warned rebellious MPs from her Conservative Party that they did not have the numbers to unseat May or an “obvious candidate” to replace her or “a coherent alternative plan for Brexit”.

One of its columnists, Andrew Pierce, accused hardline Brexiteers plotting against May of being “traitors” — a stark reversal for a paper that accused judges who had issued an anti-Brexit ruling of being “Enemies of the People”.

The paper‘s new editorial line risks angering Dacre, who still has an influential role as chairman and editor-in-chief of the Mail‘s parent group, .

Writing in The Spectator earlier this year, Dacre warned against too radical a shift.

“Support for Brexit is in the DNA of both the Daily Mail and, more pertinently, its readers, any move to reverse this would be editorial and commercial suicide,” he wrote.
Download The Times of India for Latest .

PNB branch manager files FIR against firm for forgery

0

AMBALA: The district police here have registered a case of fraud and forging bank guarantee papers to loan for vehicles of around Rs 25 lakh.
In his complaint, chief manager Jagdish Chander Gupta of (PNB), City has alleged that M/s BD Jagan Company, Bengali Mohalla, Ambala Cantonment had availed of a car loan facility from a branch of PNB in Model Town, Ambala City.

The said PNB branch received an email on July 12, 2018 from M/s Sahib Tradelinks Private Limited, having its office in Sector 34 A, Chandigarh, regarding confirmation of the bank guarantee of Rs 25 lakh bearing a number dated July 10, 2018, which was submitted by the M/s BD Jagan Company.

The bank had never issued such document of guarantee from its side to the said company.

The original copy of the forged bank guarantee was also submitted by Satish Kumar, sales officer of M/s Sahib Tradelinks Pvt. Ltd.on July 13, 2018.

After receiving the forged original copy, the bank checked the record of the issuance of the said bank guarantee and found that no such bank guarantee was ever issued by the Model Town branch of PNB or by any of the officials.

The chief manager of the bank, in his complaint, has said after checking the bank’s records, it has come forward that M/s BD Jagan Company forged the bank guarantee and used the same as original with the M/s Sahib Tradelinks Pvt Ltd and cheated the bank to availed the financial facilities of Rs 25 lakh.

The bank manager has demanded action against the firm and its proprietor Kamlesh Singla.

According to the police, the same firm had cheated the bank earlier of Rs 30 lakh by forging documents. An FIR in this case was filed on November 13, 2017 Investigating officer ASI Suresh said, “A case against Kamlesh Singla under Sections 420 (cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property), 467 (forgery of valuable security), 468 (forgery for purpose of cheating), and 471 (using as genuine a forged document) of the IPC has been registered at the Baldev Nagar police station.”
Download The Times of India for Latest .

CP office gets vertical garden, 200 plants grown in waste bottles

0

LUDHIANA: Adding another feather to its green plastic campaign, the income tax department in association with police commissionerate, Ludhiana, has made a outside the office of commissioner of police (CP).
The vertical garden on Thursday was inaugurated by chief commissioner Binay K Jha, CP Dr Sukhchain Singh Gill, senior officials of both departments and representatives of police public foundation and confederation of Indian industry (CII).

This vertical garden has been made by using 200 plastic and as many number of plants of different varieties.

Speaking on the occasion, Jha said, “The green plastic initiative was launched by us last year in July, under which, we took upon the mission of making Ludhiana cleaner and greener by utilising the hazardous plastic waste to grow plants that too at a fraction’s cost as compared to other methods of plantation. Furthermore, the vertical garden is easy to install and do not need huge space like other methods. We are thankful to Ludhiana police for adopting this initiative and becoming a partner in this green campaign, which can bring about a pleasant change in the city for the residents”

Dr Sukhchain Singh Gill, said “The vertical gardens will not only make buildings beautiful but also help in increasing green cover in the city. If more such vertical gardens are installed in the city, the air will also become more clean and give a relief to the residents by increasing oxygen levels.” Gill also lauded the efforts of IT department for coming up with such a unique initiative.

On the occasion, officials of both departments and businessmen also decided that vertical gardens will be installed at several police stations of the city.
Download The Times of India for Latest .

Hizbul man, planning to strike on Ganesh fest, held

0

LUCKNOW: The Anti-Terrorist Squad () of Uttar Pradesh Police arrested a native of Assam, Qamar-uz-Zama from Kanpur early on Thursday morning for his alleged links with the terror group . Police claimed that he was planning a terrorist strike during the 10-day Ganesh Chaturthi celebrations beginning Thursday.

A seven-day police custody remand has been given by a court in Lucknow for interrogating Zama. Police officials from Jammu & Kashmir and Assam would also arrive to interrogate him. Zama was arrested from Chakeri in Kanpur on inputs from National Investigation Agency (NIA) and he confessed that he was a member of Hizbul Mujahideen and was staying on rent in the city for over a month and had been working as an electrician. The ATS sleuths also recovered a phone from him which had sketches and videos of Lord Ganesha temple in Collectorganj, Kanpur. Zama used a Blackberry phone and its messenger to interact with his handlers and associates.

DGP OP Singh said, “The accused had been abroad for four years and was in touch with known Hizbul handlers in Kishtwar, Jammu &Kashmir, and had also done recce of important and sensitive locations in Uttar Pradesh.”

‘Zama had been to Republic of Palau’

IG (ATS) Asim Arun said that Zama first came on the radar of security agencies when he posted a photo of himself wielding an AK-47 rifle on Facebook on April 8, 2018, posing as Dr Huraira and claiming to be member of Hizbul Mujahideen. The NIA had started following Zama and collecting details about him since then.

Arun further said, “Zama had been to Republic of Palau near Philippines and worked there from 2008 to 2012. He got married in 2013 after his return to Assam. He failed in BA (III) exam and then did a diploma in computers.”

During interrogation, Zama revealed that he went to Kashmir in 2017 where he met one Osama bin Javed who introduced him to Hizbul Mujahideen outfit. Zama underwent training at a militant camp in the jungles of Kishtwar, said ATS officials.

“We are checking his phone, his s and gathering details of Osama bin Javed,” they added.

Senior ATS officials said that they are gathering further details about Zama’s stay in Kanpur and his associates.

Download The Times of India for Latest .

Govt to release Bhim Army chief, withdraws NSA

0

LUCKNOW: The government announced the release of Bhim Army leader alias Ravan on Thursday, more than a year after the Dalit outfit founder was slapped with the () for allegedly inciting violence in Saharanpur in the wake of atrocities against the Scheduled Castes (SC).

Azad was arrested in June 2017 and subsequently NSA was slapped on him. The current period of NSA arrest was to expire on October 31. The government denied that the decision on Azad’s premature release was taken to pre-empt any adverse order by Supreme Court, which the Bhim Army had approached two months ago.

The government also denied that the move was aimed to placate Dalits in UP ahead of 2019 Lok Sabha polls following criticism of the BJP government in Maharashtra over the arrests of five civil rights activists last month for their alleged links with Maoists.

“Chandra Shekhar alias Ravan‘s mother had submitted a plea. Keeping the current situation in mind, the government is taking a sympathetic view and is directing the Saharanpur administration to release him with immediate effect,” the UP government’s order said.

The UP home department confirmed that his release was unconditional. This came even as the Saharanpur district magistrate had submitted an adverse report two weeks ago against Azad.

‘Our war against BJP is on’

The order also said that Azad’s two aides, Sonu and Shiv Kumar, would be released ahead of their term completion on October 14.

Amnesty International described the development as a “wonderful” news for human rights defenders across India. “The UP government must now ensure that Chandrashekar Azad is not targeted for his work to empower Dalit groups and is not incarcerated without a fair trial,” Asmita Basu, programmes director, Amnesty International India, said.

Ravan’s family asserted that the outfit’s movement to safeguard Dalit rights would continue in UP. “Our war against BJP is not over. The atrocities against Dalits would not be forgiven. We had taken a decision not to go ahead with any protests in India, but we would continue to meet people and inform them on what the saffron party has done to our people. When Azad comes out, we will discuss and leave the decision to our people on whether to contest elections or support a political alliance in 2019,” Ravan’s brother Kamal told TOI.

Download The Times of India for Latest .

Yemeni student arrested on molestation charges

0

PUNE: A Yemini national was arrested for molesting a woman sanitation employee at a housing society in Kondhwa Budruk at around 10.30am on Wednesday.
Osamah Yahya Abdullah, a 19-year-old resident of Kausarbaugh was arrested under Section 354 (outraging modesty of a woman) of the . He was produced before a magisterial court on Thursday and remanded in magisterial custody. Abdullah was later released on bail.

Abdullah is a first-year Bachelor of Business Administration student in a city-based college. He had come to India on a student visa roughly one-and-a-half months ago.

In her complaint against Abdullah, the 20-year-old married woman said: “I was cleaning the open space outside a particular flat on the sixth floor of the society, when the suspect opened the door. He caught hold of my hand, pulled me inside and molested me.”

The woman raised an alarm, pushed the suspect aside and ran out. She took the stairs as the lift was not functioning. The woman informed the building’s security guard about the incident and also alerted her employer who then rushed to the spot. The employer summoned his brother and the information of the incident was shared with the city police control room.

A beat marshal from the Kondhwa police reached the society. He took the woman to the concerned flat, but the suspect had fled by then. The marshal had to obtain his name and address from Abdullah’s friends. Abdullah was later arrested.

Police said the Yemini national often visited his friends at the housing society for studies.

Sub-inspector Priya Tilekar produced Abdullah before the court and filed a remand plea and chargesheet against him. The court accepted the remand plea and advised the officer to file the chargesheet at the Pune cantonment court for commencing the trial.

Download The Times of India for Latest .

Lawyers, aided clerics in I-Day row, nixed from bar

0

GORAKHPUR: The of Maharajganj district cancelled the membership of two advocates Manoj Singh and Mainuddin Ansari for providing to Muslim who had stopped students of a from singing the national anthem on August 15. A mob of advocates also thrashed Ansari on court premises on Thursday.

After the August 15 incident, the bar association of Maharajganj had decided not to provide legal aid to the clerics, but Singh and Ansari defied the decision.

As a result, the association ended their membership and sent a copy of action against them to UP Bar association. Singh added that he will lodge an FIR against the lawyers who thrashed Ansari.

‘I was not aware of Bar’s decision’

The Bar association had on August 18 taken a decision that no lawyer will defend the accused who had stopped students from singing the national anthem on , but two advocates Manoj Singh and Mainuddin Ansari went against the decision. So the bar association has ended their membership and a copy has been sent to UP Bar association. An application has been sent to district judge for cancellation of allotment of the sitting place in the court to the two advocates,” said Maharajganj bar association president Jagdish Patel.

When questioned, advocate Manoj Singh said, “It is every person’s fundamental right to get legal aid. I was just doing my duty. If a Pakistani terrorist like Ajmal Kasab can get legal aid why not these two? However, I was not aware of the bar association’s decision of not providing legal aid to them. I condemn the attack on Ansari by lawyers. I was working inside the court so they couldn’t touch me.”

Singh added that he will lodge an FIR against the lawyers who thrashed Ansari.

During Independence Day celebrations at a madrassa in Badgo village in Maharajganj district, cleric Mohammad Junaid Ansari had stopped children from singing national anthem after flag hoisting. He was later arrested along with two others.
Download The Times of India for Latest .